Saturday 16 August 2014

Delicious Gluten-Free Brownies

For about the past 5 months or so I've been on a gluten-free diet, not because I am resistant or anything other than I thought I'd just give it a try. I realised that it was so much easier than I imagined, especially with so many shops and restaurants becoming on board with it, and so I have kept it up, because in general my body just feels a lot "happier" now. I often felt quite bloated after large potions of wheat (gluten), and so in general, I just really feel healthier on this, and I think it's helped reduce my hayfever too weirdly enough! 

Okay, so that's why I made these gluten-free brownies. Let me start with a disclaimer: when I read of any form of baked good that is something-free (whether it be gluten, dairy, sugar, anything), I am hesitant. The idea of "healthy brownies" just contradicts the point in my mind, so let me just say, these are not healthy brownies, they are exactly normal except instead of normal wheat (gluten) flour, this uses corn flour! But anyway, I have been hooked on these because 1) I can eat them as much as I want (well not really, but you know what I mean) because they stick in my gluten-free eating plan and 2) they are actually like one of the best brownie recipes I've found!


So here's what you'll need:

  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup of sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons cocoa
  • 3 Tablespoons cornflour (maizena)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
  • 130g of dark (or milk) chocolate
  • 100g white chocolate
  • Pinch of salt
  • 6 tablespoons of butter
Start by melting the butter and sugar together in a pot, I tend to use a double boiler so when the chocolate is added, it doesn't curdle.


Once the sugar is completely dissolved, add in the dark chocolate (chopped roughly) and stir on low heat until it melts. 


That mixture can be set aside to cool for a little, while you chop up the white chocolate into rough, semi-large pieces. 


So put aside the chocolate for a little while, and go back to the mixture in the pot. Check that it is not boiling hot, it can be luke-warm or so. Add in the 2 eggs and whisk them in until combined.


(note, you could transfer the mixture into a mixing bowl before this step, but I chose to just make the batter in the pot I had used)

So now, sieve in the cornflour, followed by the cocoa and combine thoroughly with a whisk (side note: corn flour is our gluten-free substitute instead of ordinary flour).


Dip your finger in the batter and check that it's barely warm at all now. If it is, let it cool as bit first. Once cool-ish, add the white chocolate chunks and mix in.



Because the mixture is quite wet (due to little dry ingredients), make sure you grease your baking tin very thoroughly! And then pop them in the oven for about 20 mins at 180 degrees Celsius (I think that's 350F), but keep an eye on them, depending on your oven's strength. 


Annd that's literally it! So quick, so easy and so delicious, promise! 
I hope you enjoy this type of baking post, give these ones a try for sure!

This picture doesn't quite do them justice, think we ate them all before I got the chance to take a proper one!




No comments:

Post a Comment