Tuesday 5 November 2013

Pretty Brilliant Cover Versions!

I have been planning another cheeky little post for a while now but it is taking me quite a while, so I thought I'd do this, because recently I have just heard loads of absolutely brilliant cover versions, some by pretty professional bands and others by complete random YouTubers (who are so good they deserve to be famous!)... so here we go!




The first one is an Australian girl called Andie... 
Her YouTube channel is amazing! She is clearly just one of those people who are naturally very musical. She is crazy talented at guitar and has a beautiful voice!! Check out her channel... but these two are my personal favourites. 


This her cover of Royals by Lorde....


and her cover of Wake Me Up by Avicii 

Okay, so the next one is actually a band, they are relatively well-known and were actually on the Ellen show this/last week.. They are just beyond fantastic. I actually don't have words to properly explain how great they are and I wish I could post all their stuff here, so please, do yourself a favour and check out their channel!
This is a really creative and fun one, but even then, you can't miss how musically brilliant it is...

Everyone seems to be doing covers of this song (Royals) recently, and I'm sorry I'm posting it twice, but their version is impeccable!

Next is the beatboxer from Pentatonix. Surprisingly from what you'd assume, he is the most fantastic cello player. He takes a classical instrument as such, and combines it with beatboxing and more modern, pop-py songs. Really so clever! I love this cover of Heart Attack by Demi Lovato! 

Love.

Another, less well-known artist who does some great covers is a Swedish (I think) guy called Roomie. I have heard about 10 really amazing covers and the rest are just not songs that I would usually enjoy. But the ones he gets right, so brilliant! Sorry that I keep repeating songs, it is purely coincidence! 

When I heard this cover of Heart Attack, I am not even joking, I think I replayed it about 25 times!

Also very nice, a collaboration with friends....their cover of Katy Perry;s Unconditionally. Also check out his cover with a few friends of Wake Me Up.

Katherine Hughes is another YouTuber, who was also on Disney's Next Big Thing a year or two ago, I also lovve her voice! She's also posted some pretty great original songs on her channel too, so definitely check them out!


Her cover of Put Your Records On by Corrine Bailey

And, combined with two others, a nice little cover of Love Somebody by Maroon 5. 

Moving up a little into what I would like to classify as absolutely bloody brilliant is Boyce Avenue. He does the most perfect covers, and the two that I am going to post here are with Beatrice Miller, who I think that such a stunning voice and was on last season of X Factor USA.

Their cover of We Can't Stop- much better than the original I believe!


Their cover of Katy Perry's Roar. Now, I can safely say that I must have listened to about 30 covers of this song in the last month, and without any even coming close, this is by far the best!!

Jayme Dee is a YouTuber who now has become relatively popular too, but I have loved her ever since the start and i don't think I've missed a video! Picking a couple of favourites was so hard, so do check out the rest here.... I do think that her channel has unfortunately gone a little down hill recently, but her older videos especially are awesome! 

One of my favourites is her cover of LOVE by Nat King Cole...

and Sunday Morning by Maroon 5.

I am such a fan of videos like this one by Matthias Harris where every single noise you hear is made himself! Its a one man acapella of Bastille's Pompeii, and it really is very nice...


Walk Off the Earth, started with an innocent little YouTube channel, and now are on tours and have all their stuff on iTunes and what not, and are an increasingly more famous band. Some of my all time favourites of theirs are 1) Magic (Bob) and 2) I Knew You Were Trouble (Taylor Swift)




 

Lastly, the current season of X Factor USA has just started with live shows, and in the first live episode, two groups absolutely blew me away! The first is Alex and Sierra with their surprisingly good cover of Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke...



and the second group that I loove, and I predict could win the X FActor USA, is Restless Road. Three young ish guys all with incredible country voices. I may be a bit biased cause I love country, but wow, their cover of Roar by Katy Perry here is phenomenal!


So that's it... I am not exaggerating when I say that I had to force myself to stop now or else this post would be unbelievably long! But I have loads of other YouTubers who just get these covers spot on, so maybe another Cover post is in order, we'll see. But for now I hope you enjoy these bloody brilliant covers as much as I do! 


No comments:

Post a Comment